I don't know where to begin. At most, I've slept maybe an hour or two out of the past 48. Those who follow on Facebook or Twitter know that we've had an impossibly long night: from cath lab to emergency surgery that for a time had us wondering if Ewan would see the morning. The long and the short of it is: we were preparing to say goodbye.
We knew an emergency surgery situation is already at a greatly elevated risk. The head surgeon said these are the smallest arteries he's ever seen that he dared to operate on. In other words: Ewan's case is as extreme as it gets.
First shunt didn't work. Second didn't work. If the third didn't work, there was no backup. Lots of bleeding. Low O2 levels. Even the most optimistic doctor saying things aren't looking good. Family called. Chaplain called.
Waiting, waiting, waiting.
We made it through the night, but we've still got a really long, long way to go. Questions remain about the reason for fluid accumulation in the belly, about possible brain damage from the lowered oxygen levels. ECMO -- the scary thing that I dreaded being necessary -- is keeping our son alive right now. Our Ewan continues to fight, but he still needs our help.
Please continue to pray for Ewan, and for all of us. I trust your prayers guided the hands of the surgeons and kept them awake for the long fight they had tonight. I trust your prayers gave me an unimaginable peace and trust in the hand of God in all of this.
Add him to your prayer chains. Pray for him at your Masses. Storm the gates of heaven with your prayers.
We still need to be realistic about this, but I am not a deist! I trust in a God who can move mountains -- the God of the impossible. One of the doctors said at this point, a full recovery would take "a lot of luck." I think we can do better than that. How about a miracle? I'm ready for one if you are.